09 May 2013

Noveling Madness

i made it through week one of this crazy idea to write a novel in a month. i now have more than 12,000 words--one fourth of the way done!

This is what i have learned in week one:

-i am not an author.
-i wish i had a desktop computer instead of just a net book.
-i'm glad i have a net book because some of my best ideas hit when i'm in the bathtub.
-i am much wittier in shorter forms (ie: blog posts and texts). It is insanely difficult to be constantly witty for 20 pages.
-My dramatic nature serves me well when trying to write.
-i enjoy quilting much more than i enjoy writing.
-i love google docs; things are saved instantly as i write and i can access my document from any computer or my phone.
-i usually only meet my daily word count because i know that i have a friend to whom i am going to have to account at the end of the day.
-It is easier than i thought it would be to leave behind my "inner editor" and just type.
-It is harder than i thought it would be to know how to organize my story.
-The characters in my life are way better than any make believe character that i could create.
-i don't have the desire to share what i am writing with anyone--but it sure feels good to write it anyway.
-The first two sentences were the easiest for me to write.

Just to tease you....here they are:


"I always wanted to die by spontaneous combustion. All that would be left of me would be a pair of hot pink chucks, smoking in the middle of the sidewalk."

Here goes week two!

4 comments:

Grace said...

You're a tease, posting two hilarious lines like that and saying you don't want to share any more. That's awesome that you've kept up with it, way to go!

7aura7 said...

You've got me after 2 sentences! Writing a novel seems so huge and overwhelming, you have my admiration. I love that you write in the tub! You have to put that in your author profile on the back cover.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Way to keep us in suspense...not fair :)

Anna said...

That sounds like a great story start. I'm interested. My mom in law does NANOWRIMO every Novemeber where you have to write 50,000 in the month of Novemeber and I think it has to be something you haven't worked on before. Lets just say we don't see much of her during that month. But she has published a book (As the Crow Flies by Robin Lythgoe if you are interested). Good luck on your writing =)