08 April 2013

Reality

Spring cleaning started at my house. The problem? i just moved in, it's only me living there AND i am slightly obsessed with cleaning. In other words, i had to dig pretty deep to find something to organize/clean. i attacked my storage boxes with a vengeance. That put me organizing and digging through old memories including pictures, ticket stubs and, most of all, letters. Binders upon binders of letters that we had sent each other. Basic Training, Advanced Training. Semester abroad. Deployment. Mission. Deployment again.

i was "shockingly cavalier" about the letters...even flipped through and read some of them. i realized that some of the things in my boxes really needed to be returned to the ex. Since i work for a shuttle company, i decided to just shuttle down the letters and memories that rightly belonged to him.

Of course life has to be complicated and the box didn't end up where it was supposed to go when it was supposed to go and a couple of coworkers ended up getting involved. Both of them, dear friends of mine, expressed curiosity over what was heading down in the box ("venomous snakes? the ashes that were once your wedding dress?" etc). When i explained, both had similar reactions.

One said, "Wow! All those letters. People just don't have that these days. What you had was so romantic. i can't believe that with all of that in your past, you are not together. It seems like it all belongs in a movie." The other, "It would be the end all if you end up back together. All those letters and all those past stories and then a time apart. Imagine if there was a reconciliation. A 'Love Triumphs and Conquers All' kind of moment. It would be ridiculously romantic and over-the-top dramatic."

i think that is what the ex thinks too. But here is the truth.

i don't want a fairytale. i don't want a "rom-com." i don't want to be swept away with love notes, promises, roses and grand gestures. i don't want dramatic reunions in airports and public displays of affection. i don't want the past. i don't want a "happy ending" because i don't believe in the kind of endings that come in movies and books...in "happily ever afters."

i would like to be whole and happy in and of myself.

And if there ever is a man, i would like him to be whole and happy in and of himself.

He would be someone who compliments me, not someone who completes me. Not someone who needs me to be complete. i would love someone who would say "This is it. This is who i am. It's all out here on the table" from the very get-go. Who sees me as i am too, my divorced baggage and all. We would both know that life is hard; it's not a fairytale. It's not all picnics and vacations and sunshine and snuggling and picture perfect movie moments.

Those who know me know that i have always been a hopeless romantic. But not this time. i may be a romantic, but i am also strong. Stronger than i ever knew.

i don't want a romantic story. i want reality.

After all, this is not a movie; this is my life.

9 comments:

7aura7 said...

You've amazed me with how you were able to let go and be your own person. I'd say you are the most independently complete person I know, and I REALLY respect that. Seriously. Whatever life throws your way, it doesn't really matter, because you are you, and you only need you.

Katie C. said...

I used to think I would marry someone, like in the movies, who would be so much smarter and more mature than I am, to the point that he would constantly teach me to be sophisticated. Married to Scott I realized that image wouldn't go over too well... I like to say that I'm the smart one :) I'd like to see a romantic comedy that doesn't make the woman out as a damsel in distress. Where are the healthy relationships, Hollywood?

Grace said...

I remember you hating stories with happy endings, so this post made sense to me. And I'm glad that you're feeling more whole and stable. <3

Brianna Renee said...

i love how honest and real this post is. what you wrote really struck a cord in me. it really is so important to be whole as a person, and with that comes happiness :)

new follower, excited to follow along!

Karri Warren said...

I am proud of you for finding a complete sense of self for you. I think that it is very important for a person to be happy with themselves before they can share themselves with someone else. Keep in mind though that you can have both. I am not saying with the ex or anything. I just think that when you are in a place where you feel ready to share the wonderfulness that is you :) with someone else, they may know themselves and be good with themselves and ready to share that with you. That is when you can have the fairy-tale that is the REAL fairy-tale. You can have a guy that you want and deserve and he can give you the fairy tale part too. Don't write it off just yet. :) <3 you girl!!!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I LOVE the introspection here. I have always said that life is a marathon and not a sprint. Sounds as if you are well on your way my friend...

Clementine said...

This is so powerful... Seriously the most therapuetic day of my life was when I walked into my shrinks office and spoke of the fairy tales in my mind... you know what he said? "Happily ever afters DON'T exist. Love is hard. Marriage is work. It's not the romance that will you carry you through... it's about finding a friend to live your everyday life with... someone you can hope and dream with... it's more of a you're not okay, I'm not okay and that's OKAY sort of thing..."

My life was poisoned by what I *thought* love was... the minute I let that go and let a real, kind, caring, NORMAL man come into my life- imperfect as he was (and me too)- the day my life really began. We have a SOLID relationship but it is full of independence, self respect and understanding. We go good together because we aren't trying to change one another or find purpose in one another. We are living our lives as a team and it's wonderful.

You're so on the right track... I promise... and you are growing immensely from these new discoveries of yours.

All my love,

Jacy (from My Name is Jacy- except now I am "Clementine"... I started a new blog... YAY! Hope you'll follow along :)

www.theclementinethatcould.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Clementine! :)

I am seriously beyond happy to see you again!! I will be religiously following you, of course. I am flattered that you sought me out. Thank you for your encouraging words--they mean more than anything coming from someone who has been in such a similar situation.

I look forward to catching up with you!

Love, jo

Unknown said...

I'm happy to have you!