27 March 2013

Finding joy in the now

On New Years i made a resolution to love life. In order to figure out how to be happier, i contemplated unhappiness...i considered times in the past when i was joyful...i recalled that even when i was in "the thralls of marital bliss" i sometimes still struggled with staying positive. Marcel Pagnol, a French novelist and playwright, once said:
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is and the future less resolved than it will be.
This quote is now plastered all over my calendar, my journal and post-its at work.

Here is how i have enjoyed my present:
  • Brightly colored pens at work that make my "To-Do" Lists look happy
  • Reading (Jane Austen, Ray Bradbury, and young adult fantasy writer Rick Riordon)
  • Being more selective in the blogs that i read
  • Reading my scriptures in Spanish (and out loud)
  • Neon colored nail polish on my toes
  • My Clarisonic
  • Working on my quilt...again
  • Listening to this song, this song, and this song
  • Using Barbie band aids
  • Using a "scentsy" to fill my office and my home with smells of coconut, chocolate peppermint and berries
  • Home made pizza, home made Thai food and home made salad dressings
    
    Getting pictures of this face in text messages
    (and knowing she's related to me!)
     
    Ending a night with:
    Journaling, Reading, Goal Setting

    Blowouts from Paul Mitchell Hair School
    
    Green Smoothies (and sometimes sharing them)
    
    
    Baby BO snuggles
    
    Happy Socks
    (And friends who see them and buy them for me)

    Pedicures with friends

    Spa days alone

    Going to the symphony
    
    Making faces with my niece

    Here's to happiness, a realistic view of the past, a positive view of the present and an optimistic view of the future (and many more "happy lists" to come).
    

11 comments:

Katie C. said...

What a happy list.

Clarisonic? Do tell!

Chantel said...

:) Love this! Happy lists always help. :) My journey is not far off from your own.

Unknown said...

At Katie: I went back and added a link to my clarisonic. i have the "mia" version--purchased at Dillards. They are made by the same people who make sonicare toothbrushes. It is a face cleaner and worth EVERY. SINGLE. PENNY.

i got one for my little sister for christmas and since then both my mom and i have invested in one for ourselves. i use it every morning and every night to wash my face. It literally only takes 60 seconds, is completely waterproof (so i can take it in the shower) and super gentle. i feel like my skin is clearer, has a natural glow to it, is super soft and my makeup goes on extra smooth.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This is so inspiring!!! I love how your embracing everything. This post is smile-inducing :)

Katie C. said...

SOLD! Thanks

Anna said...

Nieces and nephews are the best! I love mine to pieces and now that we are living with my parents I get to seem them more often. Yay Happy things in life. What qualifies a pair of socks as happy socks for you?

Unknown said...

If I smile every time I wear them.

Grace said...

I love this list, and I was wondering how you were liking your Mia, so this answered that question. :) I also loved the smoothie-sharing with Belle, she's too cute.

7aura7 said...

Your pictures make me happy :) Especially of BO. I'm so glad you're finding life happy these days. No one deserves it more.

This is the happiest food I've ever seen: http://joythebaker.com/2013/03/happy-hour-hot-fudge-milkshake/
I think you should come visit and we'll make one.

Debbie said...

Jennifer, I love that quote, I don't think I've ever heard it before, and it's SO true! Glad you are finding happiness along the journey, you are awesome!!!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Looking forward to your next post!