24 April 2013

Give me a LITTLE credit!

Some backstory for the real story...

This last Christmas was a fairly small affair. It was just me and my younger sister at home with the 'rents. One evening we were playing Rock Band together and my sis and I noticed that my father hadn't purchased any new songs in ages...they were the same ones we had played together every time we had been home for the past 2 years or so. As we teased him about getting new music, Stephanie said, "Yeah...we need a little Carly Rae Jepsen!" to which my dad responded, "Who?"

At this point both Steph and I both went into shock (well...considering we are quite dramatic it was more like yelling "WHAT?!?" and "You've NEVER heard 'Call Me Maybe'?!?!") He hadn't heard it.

Now. I'm not saying that it is a musical masterpiece by any standard (even the lowest). However, if one is alive in this world today, it is shocking that they would never have heard this song and all persons should at least be exposed to it. We promptly updated his pop-culture education.

The next day we had the opportunity to Skype with my brother who is currently in Russia. We were talking to him about life there and he mentioned that he liked hearing American music playing in stores. Then he announced, "I keep hearing this one really catchy but dumb song that says something like 'Here's my number, so call me maybe.'" It was perfect...we rubbed it in even further with Dad that even people in RUSSIA knew the song.

Shortly after all this transpired, I got a text from my dad saying he couldn't get that song out of his head. Over the course of the next few months, he realized just how much the song was played. Every time he heard it, he would text me. So, I started returning the favor each time I heard it as well.

The real story....

Last week I was in Subway grabbing lunch and I heard Carly Rae Jepsen on the radio. I pulled out my phone to send a quick text of the lyrics to my dad before it was my turn to order.

(12:09pm) Me: I just met you....this is crazy

And then I got my food, went back to work and promptly forgot about it.

(1:18pm) Dad: Oops. I think this was misdirected.

(1:19pm) Dad: Hope that didn't just toss a huge pit into your stomach.

(1:19pm) Me: Nope. "Here's my number, so call me maybe." Definitely for you :)

(1:20pm) Dad: LOL. Crap. Didn't pick up on it!!

Then after thinking about this exchange for a bit:

(1:45pm) Me: Wait....Dad....You know I wouldn't ever actually use that line for real...

No Answer

(2:00pm) Me: So, I am trying not to feel too miffed that you would ACTUALLY think I would send that line to someone in seriousness.

(2:01pm) Dad: I mulled it over and over, trying to figure it out. Why do you think it took me over an hour to respond?


So there it is, folks. Oh all the confidence that those closest to me have in my meeting people/dating abilities. Thank you, Carly Rae, for the pick up line.

I'm doomed.

4 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

You're not doomed :) this was so funny. Hey you never know, that line might work!

7aura7 said...

That's a beautiful conversation. Absolutely perfect! I have a confession to make: I have no idea what song you're talking about. So now if I start hearing an incredibly annoying song that says "call me maybe" over and over, I'm going to be a little miffed at you.

Tara Johnson said...

Ha ha I needed that. I must admit what little I know about your dad I do know he is a music guru so I am a little shocked that he hasn't at least heard it! But way to open his eyes. By the way, thanks, I will probably have that song in my head the rest of the day. Dah!

sherry wadsworth said...

So I heard that song one day and texted David the lyrics too. He called me and asked what I wanted him to call me for. LOL