12 November 2013

Living Alone

Let me tell you about why i love living alone:

* The whole closet is MINE!
* i can take as long of showers as i want without feeling guilty. No one is there judging me, no one else needs the hot water and no one else is paying the bill for it.
* i only have to clean up after myself.
* i don't have to worry about finding the oreo package empty when i get home from work.
* No one stinks up the bathroom right before i have to get ready for the day.
* Things stay exactly where i leave them.
* My bedroom can be decorated super girly.
* i never have to shut any doors in my house.

However, a couple incidents have happened (always at night) that have made me jump so high i had to scrape myself off the ceiling afterwards.

*For a time during the summer, i had no screen door on my slider. i still opened my slider wide once i was in bed to let in the cool breeze. One evening i was lounging and reading in bed when a cat jumped on my bed. i don't have a cat. Terrifying.

*As the fall weather started, i loved sleeping with the cool night air drifting through my house. i slept with all my doors and windows open and my house would smell so clean. i would kick all the blankets off of my bed and leave only a sheet thrown across me. In the middle of such an autumn night a storm swept in while i was sound asleep, turning the gentle breeze into a fierce wind. One gust flew through my house, slammed my bedroom door while simultaneously blowing the sheet off of me. Scariest way to wake up...ever.

*Just the other night i came home from a long exhausting day, didn't even turn the lights on in my kitchen or living room, went straight back to my room and climbed under my covers to get lost in a novel. In the beautiful stillness of my house, a digital watch beeped the hour. i don't own a watch. i knew someone was in my house. Holy Crap. Turns out one of my friends had left his wristwatch in my living room the evening before. But it was a horrible ten minutes until i discovered that.

That will get your heart pumping. No need for cardio those days! Haha!

6 comments:

Katie C. said...

I am so paranoid when it comes to being in the house by myself! We had someone break into our apartment when we were newly married. Luckily I wasn't home, but I haven't gotten over it.

7aura7 said...

Gah!! The watch beeping would be enough to give me a stroke! You're brave.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love living alone. Love it for all of the reasons you mentioned (well except the girly bedroom part). And I can't imagine how scary it is to have a random cat jump into your bed at night!

Anna said...

Yea. I probably would have peed my pants on a few of those situations. However, I don't think I am ever too tired to turn on the lights when I get home, I've watched way too many scary movies in my life time and I'm a little afraid of the dark, sometimes.

Grace said...

Oh wow, that beeping watch is a killer! I can only imagine how hard your heart must have been beating. And those long, uninterrupted showers sound amazing.

Tara Johnson said...

So I might have gotten chills just reading that post! ha ha