12 July 2013

Summerfest

Something strange happened to me on the 4th of July; i realized that it was difficult to seperate my love for country from my love for Jacob. i also realized that i didn't know how to handle NOT being an army wife! i didn't realize how much that had defined me...that i sacrificed for my country and now that sacrifice and pride was no longer a part of my life. It made me feel unpatriotic and empty; i wasn't doing anything special for my country anymore.

Then this week the Summerfest happened (formerly known as the International Dance and Music Festival). i had put about 40 hours into the project before the week even started. i was the chair person for two of the major events--a Youth Culture where the kids of the community would come and interact with the different foreign dance and music teams. It took time, effort, creativity and a few tears to pull it all together. i even ended up on the news to promote the festival! Besides my events, i volunteered at almost all of the other events happening.

Last night at the street festival and parade down Main Street Rexburg Idaho, i watched the locals come out and cheer on these dancers. i remembered seeing them teaching the kids about their cultures at my youth activity. i met the dancers and they hugged me and thanked me for pulling those activities together. i realized that in a very real way, i served my community. i felt like i could still contribute--in a different way, but it was rewarding. 
New Zealand

China
Colombia
Guatemala
South Korea
Israel

5 comments:

7aura7 said...

I'm still in awe that you can pull all of that together. Wow! It looks like it was a wonderful day for everyone

Katie C. said...

So amazing! And obviously a huge time commitment!!

Grace said...

You go, girl! I'm glad that it worked out for you and everything went well. You're amazing!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I loved what you wrote in the opening, our relationships really do define us don't they. My hardest transition after my divorce, for instance, was getting "me" back. Anywho, that just reminded me of that for some reason. Wonderful pictures and looks like it was a wonderful time!!

Tara Johnson said...

How exciting to be involved with it! A great way to celebrate our country by working with those of other countries!