15 January 2012

This isn't a real post...

...this is just me wanting to share something with you that makes me happy. Shel Silverstein's poetry. Did you know that he published a new book of poems in 2011 called "Every Thing On It"? I got a copy from Jacob for Christmas. I feel like this book is naughtier than ever! But it's also a lot more open and serious than ever too...in a Silverstein sort of way. Some of my favorites I can't share because they just don't make sense without the images, but I encourage all of you to buy and enjoy this book. Here is a taste:

"School"

Rain and hail,
Cold and snow
Are good excuses not to go.

"Happy Ending?"

There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part,
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.

"The Game"

I'm glad you came.
Let's play a game
Called Crook and Police Dog Rover.
I bite your eye,
And now you die,
And now the game is over.

"Don't Change On My Account"

If you're sloppy, that's just fine.
If you're moody, I won't mind.
If you're fat, that's fine with me.
If you're skinny, let it be.
If you're bossy, that's all right.
If you're nasty, I won't fight.
If you're rough, well that's just you.
If you're mean, that's all right too.
Whatever you are is all okay.
I don't like you anyway.

"Liar, Liar"

"Liar, liar, your pants are on fire,
Your nose is as long as a telephone wire."
That's what they told me when I was a tot,
But now I am older,
My nose ain't no longer,
My pants ain't no hotter...
And I still lie a lot.

and my favorite...

"Underface"

Underneath my outside face
There's a face that none can see.
A little less smiley,
A little less sure,
But a whole lot more like me.

He opens the book with the following poem which, to me, defines him as an author. What a legacy. Thank you, Shel, for your brilliance.


"Years From Now"

Although I cannot see your face
As you flip these poems awhile,
Somewhere from some far-off place
I hear you laughing--and I smile.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My sister in law has this book and I sat and read it forever! I love it especially the opening poem. LOVE LOVE LOVE him. Thanks for sharing. :)

7aura7 said...

Such a wonderful poet. I love Liar Liar. He has such a way of combining humor, life, and beautiful words. I'm going to be looking for that book.

Raven Lee said...

Oh my goodness I love it! I must get this book now. Shel Silverstein makes me so happy. My favorite will probably always be Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout. Thanks for sharing, I'm so excited about getting this book ;)

Grace said...

Wow, I didn't know he had published another book! "Don't Change On My Account" made me laugh out loud. I miss my books of his poetry! Thank you for sharing. :)

Katie C. said...

My favorite poet! So glad you shared, because I had no idea he published another book.