15 January 2012

This isn't a real post...

...this is just me wanting to share something with you that makes me happy. Shel Silverstein's poetry. Did you know that he published a new book of poems in 2011 called "Every Thing On It"? I got a copy from Jacob for Christmas. I feel like this book is naughtier than ever! But it's also a lot more open and serious than ever too...in a Silverstein sort of way. Some of my favorites I can't share because they just don't make sense without the images, but I encourage all of you to buy and enjoy this book. Here is a taste:

"School"

Rain and hail,
Cold and snow
Are good excuses not to go.

"Happy Ending?"

There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part,
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.

"The Game"

I'm glad you came.
Let's play a game
Called Crook and Police Dog Rover.
I bite your eye,
And now you die,
And now the game is over.

"Don't Change On My Account"

If you're sloppy, that's just fine.
If you're moody, I won't mind.
If you're fat, that's fine with me.
If you're skinny, let it be.
If you're bossy, that's all right.
If you're nasty, I won't fight.
If you're rough, well that's just you.
If you're mean, that's all right too.
Whatever you are is all okay.
I don't like you anyway.

"Liar, Liar"

"Liar, liar, your pants are on fire,
Your nose is as long as a telephone wire."
That's what they told me when I was a tot,
But now I am older,
My nose ain't no longer,
My pants ain't no hotter...
And I still lie a lot.

and my favorite...

"Underface"

Underneath my outside face
There's a face that none can see.
A little less smiley,
A little less sure,
But a whole lot more like me.

He opens the book with the following poem which, to me, defines him as an author. What a legacy. Thank you, Shel, for your brilliance.


"Years From Now"

Although I cannot see your face
As you flip these poems awhile,
Somewhere from some far-off place
I hear you laughing--and I smile.
Post a Comment