30 June 2011

Don't worry, Be happy

Life can get depressing. The deeper into it that i get, the more i realize that it's not easy and it's probably not going to get any easier. There is always something to worry about...and i tend to worry a bit too much. In fact, i get myself all tied up in nervous knots about money or school or work or lack of time. And if i don't have anything in my life going on, i worry about my loved one's lives. Sometimes i feel exhausted and quite often exclaim "i don't want to do it anymore!" (It meaning anything and everything). Jacob is constantly having to reassure me by saying "Everything is going to be ok."

Is it? Probably. But most of the time i just feel overwhelmed.

As the spring lingered colder, wetter and longer than usual (or so i thought) i vowed to myself that if the sun would just come out and the weather warm up, i would be perfectly content. Well, come the sun did, but my happiness did not come with it...at least, not without a little effort. As the summer moved in, i decided to try harder to be happier. This is what i did:

*Read my scriptures more faithfully. Amazing what peace that brings into life.
*Planted flowers.
*Read Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. NOTHING makes me realize the beauty in the world and the beauty in living as much as that book does. It brings me back to earth. And it fills my heart and head with poetry. In fact, i might have to read it every month this summer.

And, i started taking pictures when i felt happy (and consciously realized it) of what was making me happy. i was surprised how fast i filled my iPhone with pictures...and how flipping through them later made me just as happy as i felt in that moment. i was also surprised at the simplicity of the cause of my happiness. In other words, i found joy in the little things going on in my life: our garden, the birds, being with Jacob, driving in the car together, fresh laundry on the line, and the beautiful country in which we live.

It's kind of a picture overload, but here are some of my favorite snapshots over the last couple of weeks.













6 comments:

7aura7 said...

I love the things that make you happy! Beautiful pictures, by the way.

Jake and Katie Schwabedissen said...

Things that make me happy: I love reading your posts. I love your taste in literature. I love your iphone pictures. I love your bicycle. I love you! Thank you for that very cheer inducing blog!

Anna said...

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing. And very cute zebra striped shoes =)

Grace said...

It looks like the things that make you happy make me happy too! I'm glad you have sweet little things to make life better.

Debbie said...

It really is the little things that bring the most joy I think! Love your pictures - Your new house is so so cute! And so are you and Jake! :)

kami said...

<3 Life is hard and being happy is a lot harder...thanks for the reminder to find joy despite the worry!

I love your shoes :)