27 April 2012

So many books, so little time

At the moment, i find myself balanced in that awkward "in-between-books" stage...the one where i look at my ridiculously long "to-read" list and hear all the suggestions of friends and family and begin to break into a sweat trying to decide what book to pick up next. Do i indulge and re-read one of my favorites? Do i try to read a classic i have neglected? Do i tinker with some silly young adult fantasy series? Do i try and stay up to date on the latest in literature?

Although i have yet to pick the specific book, i have composed a list of 12 books never before read by me from which i will read until i have checked them all off. A large part of me is ashamed to admit that i have never read some of this literature; several i have started (even mulitple times) but never completed. i feel confused and overwhelmed at where to begin. Mostly, i am just thrilled at the delicious choices!

Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
Heart of Darkness- Joseph Conrad
Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
War and Peace- Leo Tolstoy
On the Road- Jack Kerouac
The Brothers Karamozov- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Jesus the Christ- James Talmage
Don Quixote- Miguel de Cervantes
Mistborn: The Alloy of Law- Brandon Sanderson
Madame Bovary- Gustave Flaubert
Uglies Series- Scott Westerfeld
On the Origin of Species- Charles Darwin

Suggestions on where to begin? (i request at the moment that you not give me more book ideas as this may cause me to quit my job, leave my church, neglect my home and my husband, lock myself in the back bedroom and subsist solely by feasting on the words of good literature.)

9 comments:

Stephanie Wadsworth said...

Andrew suggested Heart of Darkness to me when I was looking for a book to read so i pass along the suggestion C:

Grace said...

I just finished the Mistborn Series a couple weeks ago and really, really loved it. Brandon Sanderson writes great science fiction and fantasy for grown ups. It was mentally engaging to read, but not over my head.

Also, I started reading Jesus the Christ and am still working on it. The neat thing about that book is that it is more a reference since it addresses a different subject in each chapter, but it's ordered chronologically so you could read it in novel form. Good luck on that one, it's really good, but really deep.

7aura7 said...

Good luck. I think you'll totally win.

With your love of cleaning, have you ever tried listening to an audiobook while you're on a germ killing spree? I bet you could listen to Anna Karenina in a week, easy! ;)

Katie C. said...

LOVED Fountainhead. I need to read Atlas Shrugged.

Leon said...

The Fountain head will be enjoyable and enthralling, more so than Alas Shrugged. I recommend it thoroughly. I also have Don Q. on my lists I must read but haven't. I still base my knowledge of the legend off of the musical and a cartoon I watched as a kid called Don Coyote with his side kick Sancho Panda, about an anamorphic Don Q. And his adventurous life tilting at windmills.

Anna said...

I vote Fountainhead only because I'm just starting to read Atlas Shrugged =)

Betty said...

Fountainhead for sure. Loved it!

Can I ask you a question, it's been killing me and I really want to know. You left a "negative" comment on the Rockstar Diaries Better Half feature on Amanda Jane Jones blog and I was wondering what that was all about? You seem like a nice girl and I can't imagine it was so bad that both of your comments needed to be deleted. Were you actually being mean?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't realize that you moderated comments. Well, I hope you respond because it's really been bothering me. I was going to send you an email but couldn't find your email address.

Unknown said...

@ Betty. Haha. No, it wasn't that mean :) Just not my proudest moment.

(To preface, I LOVE both Rockstar Diaries and Amanda Jane Jones). i especially love Naomi's style. i think she is adorable and especially love the way she dresses when she is pregnant. i just was disappointed by the outfit she chose for the shoot because it wasn't the most flattering for her cute pregnant stomach and so many people look to her as fashion model. Shouldn't have said it...unnecessary and i typed before i thought. Then i was *censored* and i honestly felt bad. So i wrote a follow up comment saying i was sorry and that i loved both of their blogs and that comment was deleted too. i don't know why...maybe Amanda Jane thought i was being sarcastic. anyway, i don't blame her. end of story ::sigh::