02 October 2011

Feeling Ambitious

After I graduated from high school, I struggled coming home for the summer between college semesters. As surprising as it seems, I didn’t worry about living my parents rules again or clashing with them now that I was an “adult;” my issues stemmed from the fact that I no longer had friends living in Las Vegas and had nothing to do besides work and chill with the family. One summer I decided to occupy my time by making a quilt. My mother and I found a pattern for a lap quilt using applique on some of the squares. Rather than follow the original pattern, I determined to utilize my acquired skill of embroidery to add pattern onto these particular blocks rather than doing applique. We bought all the fabric and embroidery floss necessary and I set to work.

Even though I worked my heart out, I had overestimated my speed at embroidery and by the end of the summer I had the necessary squares embroidered, but none of the other fabric cut out or pieced together. The project sat in a bag in a box in a closet for about 7 years, until I finally pulled it out. Although I have much work yet to do (especially considering the fact that I want to hand quilt it once I have the top finished) I feel pleased with the progress I have made.

This is what my weekend looked like in between conference sessions:




This is a detail of one of the 14 blocks I embroidered




Can't wait to post pictures of my lap quilt when I am finished--hopefully it won't take another 7 years.

2 comments:

7aura7 said...

I love the pattern and the embroidery is lovely! Good luck with the rest. It's going to be a beautiful family heirloom.

Tara Johnson said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited to see it!!!