02 November 2010

The Autumn Leaves Drift By My Window


Remember when i said i loved Halloween? Part of the reason is because Halloween comes in the fall. And i love Autumn. Crisp mornings. Gold and red leaves (and, oh! to crunch them under foot!) Pumpkins in the windows. Sweaters, hats and scarves come out (but don't have to hide under a heavy coat yet). Most of all, i love fall food. It's warm, comforting, flavorful and brightly colored. This fall i did more cooking than last year. Maybe because i have a husband to cook for this season. i baked zucchini bread, made squash soup, shared apple and yam bake with my co-workers...and then there have been the apple pies.

One of my friends had a small orchard overflowing with apples. Jacob, my sister Stephanie, her husband, and i went and picked a huge laundry basket full of apples. I've made quite a few pies from those apples already. Today i will have my first attempt at canning and can the rest of the apples as pie filling for later. When we were apple-picking, we couldn't resist capturing some of the colors in photos. Happy Autumn! I hope you enjoy the sights, smells and tastes of the season!








Photos by Stephanie Patterson

3 comments:

7aura7 said...

I second all of your Fall loves :) And that is my favorite Nat King Cole/Eva Cassidy song! Oh, with all those apples, you should try a Bavarian apple torte recipe. It's like apple pie and cheesecake put together in a heavenly combination!

Anna said...

Very cute pictures. I love your sisters pictures! You and jake also very photogenic. Good luck on your canning, I'm sure it will turn out fabulous =0)

Katie C. said...

LOVE apples! You and your sister are looking more like twins every day!